I remembered when I was a child, this kind of crunchy and sweet snacks for sale anywhere during Chinese new years in street food stall. This recipe and method are totally difference compare with the traditional ones. It's much more easy and very tasty to make them at home, I've failed and tested also experiment many times to get it right and satisfaction. Fortunately, I don't give up and results in my own original recipe was published 5 years ago (May 4, 2015). Since my husband and myself secretly eats a lot of snacks, junk food and purchased in local and imported groceries store. Mostly we skipped and almost turned homemade snacks is our home's all-time favourite. There are no preservatives, no additives, no artificial ingredients, no palm oil and you know what you added on it. A good recipe are important because it helping you control costs, zero waste, it is great to make ahead, also contain the information the amount of ingredients and method. I wanted to make sure yours turn out perfectly treats and enjoy!
Makes 8 Large/10 Medium/16 Small pieces
1/4 tsp butter, salted
211/2 tbsp, 35g golden granulated sugar
21/2 tbsp, 65g pure honey or maltose syrup
100g mixed nuts, roasted pistachio, cashew nuts, hazelnuts and walnuts or use whichever best suits your own preferences
100g rice krispies, kellogg's
a handful of sprinkles of white and black sesame seeds.
Line a 30x20cm baking tray with baking paper and set aside.
1) Place butter in the bottom of a large saucepan on medium heat. Stir occasionally until butter is completely melted.
2) Add granulated sugar and honey or maltose syrup, stir until melted and bubbles up, then add all the mixed nuts and rice krispies, quickly stir until they are thoroughly combined.
3) Immediately transfer mixture to prepared pan and sprinkle over sesame seeds and use a silicone spatula, dough scraper or your hands to pat rice krispies treats down evenly into pan. allow to cool completely at at room temperature before cutting and serving. It can certainly be enjoyed for up to 3 days if stored properly.
1) If you want your rice krispies treats extra chunchy, or you can't handle to shape it and mess around, you can bake them in the preheated oven 100ºC, top and bottom heat with fan for 5-8 minutes,
2) To clean the saucepan afterwards, simply fill with tap water, place over medium high heat and allow the water to come to a boil, the sugar crystallised will melt completely.
Recipe Source: Josephine's Recipes