Clay Pot Chicken Rice with Cantonese Sausage is a very popular one pot meal among the Chinese community in everywhere, affectionately called Bo Zai Fan in Cantonese. It is traditionally cooked in a clay pot, but you can use electric rice cooker for convenience. Before I bought a claypot, I cooked claypot rice using a rice cooker and you can see this picture has a wonderful smoky flavour and a nice crust. These are actually the best bits of the dish, adding a satisfying crunch to every bite.
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Simmer: 5 -10 minutes
1) Cook the rice for 15 minutes.
2) Add the marinade chicken pieces with mushroom and chinese sausages, for another 25 minutes
2 chicken wings (cut to small pieces) 雞脾肉, 雞翅
1 cup of
fragrant rice 泰国香米
1 cup water 清水 (两小碗 = 1杯)
2 chinese sausages 榮華腊腸
(rinsed in warm water, removing wax covering
and sliced diagonally after cooked)
2 dried chinese mushrooms
(rinsed and soaked, cut sliced) 冬菇浸軟切絲
A dash of sesame oil 麻油/香油
1 tbsp oyster sauce 蚝油
1 tbsp soy sauce 酱油/老抽
1 tbsp cornstarch 玉蜀黍粉
2 tbsp of sweet rice wine or sherry cream 甜米酒
1 tsp white pepper 胡椒粉
A small knob of ginger, sliced 姜絲
Topping and Garnish: 装饰和配搭來吃
2 tbsp of Leekumkee premium dark soy sauce 李錦記特級老抽
spring onions, and fresh chili jullienned 蔥花 、辣椒
1) Marinade chicken pieces with mushroom for 30 minutes.
2) Wash 1 cup of rice, and add 1 cup of water, put a little sesame oil and cover claypot with lid.
Simmer the rice in medium heat until it is almost cooked, about 15 minutes.
3) Add the marinated chicken pieces with mushroom, and 2 chinese sausages cover the claypot and continue cook for another 25 minutes. Turn off the stove, take it out the 2 chinese sausages,
removing wax covering and sliced diagonally and put back the claypot and keep warm for slow cook another 5-10 minutes before serving.
How much water you add depends on what kind of rice you're cooking and how moist you prefer it. Put a little sesame oil and cover claypot with lid. (This will make a crispy rice effect).