Here is my secret recipe how to make cotton sponge cake was published last year September. By far the tastiest homemade cotton cake ever! This is new, an improved version and recipe I had tried previously many times until satisfied, the taste of smell is closely related to traditional baked egg cake. Follow my secret recipe and easy steps below and you are sure to wow and impress everyone.
Makes 6 (PME round cake pan 4 x 3-inch)
• 95g butter, melted
• a pinch of sea salt
• 88g, fresh milk
• 50g, 5 tbsp sugar
• 120g, plain flour
• 30g, corn flour
• 8 egg yolks, cold
• 8 egg whites, cold
• 1 tsp cream of tartar or 1/2 tsp lime / lemon juice
• 110g, 10 tbsp sugar
• no need to greasing the cake pan
Prepare six of 4-inch round cake pan and using paper rub a little butter and cut a round piece of parchment paper that fit to your pan.
Preheated oven 150°C, always bake with both top and bottom heat with fan assisted. To make sure your cake to succeed even better. It is best to use an oven thermometer and you'll always have the exact temperature of your oven in mind.
1) Heat the butter in a saucepan, over low heat. Add a pinch of sea salt, milk and sugar until it dissolves. Turn off the heat, sieve the plain flour and corn flour together a few times, add the egg yolks, use a whisker or spatula to ''fold'' is the term used for gently combining, to avoid over-mixing cake batter, you have fold less than 15 times and not more than 25 times.
2) In a separate bowl, start beating the whites at low speed until they are foamy, then add a tsp of cream of tartar or squeezing a little lime or lemon juice and add sugar a little bit at a time, move on to medium or even medium-high, do not beat on high, until stiff peaks. the peak stands straight up when the beaters are lifted from the mixture about 5 minutes.
3) Using a whisker, and turn the small amount of egg whites into the batter, mix until just combined and then turn back the batter into the whites, the most important part here is not to stirring and carefully folding is gentle mixing technique until just incorporated.and use a spatula and smooth the surface. Bang the cake pan a few times and get the air bubbles out of your cake batter.
4) To prepare a water bath for baking. Pour cold water in a larger pan. Bake in preheated oven 150°C for 35 minutes or until the cake is set in the centre. Baking time it will depend on the size of your cake pans. I need to do this with a beautiful pattern and just sprinkle some powdered sugar through lace for cake designs.
5) Once cooked, leave to cool 15 minutes in the oven. Dropping the cake pan from high once. Make sure cakes are properly cooled before cutting them.
1) Be careful not to get the saucepan too hot because the melted butter will burn.
2) For guaranteed results it's important to follow exactly this recipe and baking at the right temperature is important. It's recommended to use an oven thermometer.
3) Do not bake the cake quickly at a high temperature and don't remove hot cake out of a baking pan. otherwise the cake could fall apart and crack on top. Baking cake at a lower temperature will help the cake rise much higher and bake more evenly.
4) Please understand that everyone's oven work differently. You should also check the temperature of your oven. if not, your cake won't rise well.
5) You can test the cake by poking it with a skewer, if it's cooked the skewer will come out clean. if not pop it back in the oven and bake until it's ready.
6) Folding egg whites into a cake batter. Do not stir and never use an electric mixer.
7) Use a clean, dry bowl, free of yolk and any other oil or grease while beating egg whites. Do not over or under-beat the egg whites.
Recipe Source: JosephineRecipes.Co.Uk