These moist, soft cake have a rich caramel taste with a dense, springy texture. One of my favourite homemade cake from my childhood. That's really interesting honeycomb-like patterns and wasn't sweet at all. When you bite into it, it actually has a super chewy taste and feel to it. Stored airtight to keep them fresh and moist for 2 days in the room temperature.
• 90ml, 80g brown sugar
• 1 tbsp cold water
• 1/2 cup hot water
• 25g salted butter
• 65ml condensed milk
• 2 eggs
• 1/2 cup plain flour
• 1 tsp of bicarbonate of soda
• 1/2 tsp baking powder
You will need one-1lb loaf pan or 5 inch-baking tin. Line with the prepared of desired parchment paper in the bottom and the sides and grease with butter.
1) Heat sugar and cold water in a medium saucepan over low heat. Sugar will form clumps and eventually melt into a thick brown colored liquid. Be careful not to burn. Once sugar is completely melted, add the hot water and salted butter. Set aside to cool.
2) Whisk together the condensed milk and eggs in a large bowl until smooth, then sift in the plain flour, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder. Whisk just until the mixture comes together. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature about 35 minutes.
3) Add cooled syrup into batter. Mix everything together with a whisker. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise again about 1-2 hours until the batter is foamy on top.
4) Preheat the oven to 180°C and Bake for 45 minutes. Once cooked, leave to cool at least 15 minutes, and remove from the oven. Using a sharp knife, cut the cake into 6-8 equal pieces.
1) Do not bake the cake quickly at a high temperature and don't remove hot cake out of a baking pan. otherwise the cake could fall apart.
2) Please understand that everyone's oven work differently.
You should also check the temperature of your oven. if not, your cake won't rise well.
3) A water bath adds moisture to the oven and it's particularly important when baking to get the difference between a moist and fluffy cake.
4) No bake cake? Yes, You can steam the cake instead of baking, Place it in a steamer and steam for 45 minutes.
Recipe Source: JosephineRecipes.Co.Uk