• 2kg gressingham whole duck
• 4 tbsp chinese angelica powder
• 4 tbsp sichuan peppercorn powder
• 3 tbsp chinese five spice powder
• 2 tbsp cinnamon ground
• 3 tbsp brown sugar
• 3 tbsp sea salt
• 2 pieces dried mandarin peel
• 6 pieces anise stars
• 3 tbsp dark soy sauce
• 5 tbsp hoisin sauce
Prepare a pot of boilling water:
• 6-8 cups water
• 3 stalks spring onion
• 3 pieces ginger Slices
• 1 cup vinegar
• ½ cup golden syrup
I drain off all the duck juices into a bowl and separate the fat for baking potatoes, because it's a wonderful crisps with a deliciously golden color and rich taste. then pour the liquid through a strainer and mix with hoisin dipping sauce, (blue dragon). This is the best sauce recipe, you'll ever try.
Chinese steamed buns or pancakes, spring onions and cucumber sliced into long thin strips, for garnish
1) In a bowl, Mix together the hoisin sauce, chinese angelica powder, sichuan peppercorn powder, chinese five spice powder, cinnamon ground, brown sugar, dried mandarin peel, anise stars, dark soy sauce and sea salt. Spoon some of the marinade inside the duck. Secure openings excess skin with wooden skewer or toothpicks. Rub the mixture all over inside and out. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate at least 1 hour or overnight in the refrigerator. It helps bring out the great flavour to it.
2) In a large pot, add water, ginger slices, spring onion, vinegar and golden syrup bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes. Pouring boilling water over the duck skin, about 15 times, for wonderful crispness before baking.
3) Allow the duck to stand in roaster tray and Use a cooling fan to speed up the drying process, about 18 hours, or uncovered 2 days on a rack in the fridge.
4) Preheat the oven to 200C. always use oven thermometer and bake with both top and bottom heat with fan assisted. Put the duck breast side up in a roasting pan and roast for 25 minutes in the preheated oven. Turn the heat down to 150C .Roast for 40 minutes or until skin is crisp and meat is cooked. (Baking time depends on the size of the duck).
5) For the sauce, see (D).
6) Carve and slice some duck. Place a teaspoon of the sauce in the center of each steamed bun, add a couple slices of duck, garnish with the spring onion and cucumbers and serve immediately for a mouthwatering main course.
1) Transfer dried chinese angelica to a blender and Use a same blender, and blend the szechuan pepper into powdered.
2) Everyone's oven is different, depending on how your oven works.
3) Secret to the crispy skin is to make sure the duck is completely free of moisture and completely dry then you get crispy skin every time
Recipe Source: JosephineRecipes.Co.Uk