Youtiao, Its usually served with Bak kut teh 肉骨茶, Rice congee 粥 or hot soy milk 豆漿. The most popular way of enjoying this delicious snack in my hometown is usually eaten with butter and kaya or kopi dipped into condensed milk (my favourite).
• 300g bread flour
• 5g salt
• 8g baking powder
• 180g water
• 18g corn oil
oil for deep frying
1) Place the (A) ingredients, bread flour, salt, baking powder and water into the bread pan. close the lid gently.
2) Press the MENU button until desired program ''raw dough'' is selected. so that the machine does all the mixing and kneading. Once the process has been completed ''stir 1'', Open the lid. Add corn oil to the bread pan, and continue stir 2 until beeps will signal.
3) Press the MENU button until you reach ''ferment''. The bread maker will allow your dough to rise for 30 minutes giving the dough more depth flavor or until beep to signal and then you take it out of the machine.
4) Brush the top of the dough ball with a little oil, Cover with cling film and allow to cold rise overnight in the fridge.
5) Then, when you get up in the morning, Take the dough out and transfer to the work top, bring to the room temperature about 2 hours. Sprinkle some flour and start to roll the dough up to form a long log. Let it warm up about 15 minutes. Cut to shape and making conjoined dough twins. Using a dough scraper to make a gutter in the middle of each strip and Pick up one double strip and using a bamboo sticks, pressing it down lightly. Hold the two ends and stretch it. Repeat process with remaining pieces.
6) Fry in hot oil (at approximately 180°c/350°) Gently flip it over continuously many times with chopstick, Keep flipping & frying until they have puffed up and become golden brown and drained of any excess oil. It normally served with rice congee, or soymilk for breakfast.
1) While kneading dough and fermentation with a bread machine is slightly faster than hand kneading or even stand mixer.
2) Leftover fried breadsticks, (in a re-sealed bag) can be stored in the freezer, defrost it when you are ready to eat and bake until crispy.
Recipe Source: JosephineRecipes.Co.Uk