23 x 23cm cake pan
• 40g vegetable oil
• 50g cake flour
• 30g whole milk
• 3 egg yolks, cold
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 3 egg whites, cold
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 55g, sugar
For the filling:
• 2 tbsp dijon mustard
• 3-4 tbsp mayonnaise
• a few handfuls of meat floss
• additional toasted sesame seeds and toasted seed weeds pieces as you prefer.
Preheat the oven 150°C , always bake with both top and bottom heat with fan assisted. It is best to use an oven thermometer and you'll always have the exact temperature of your oven in mind. Cut a piece of baking paper to fit the base of a cake pan.
1) Cook the oil in a saucepan, over medium low heat. Turn off the heat and sift the cake flour into a large bowl. Pour hot oil to the cake flour gradually and then whisk together to make a smooth batter. Add the milk, egg yolks, vanilla extract and mix until just combined.
2) In a separate bowl, Whisk egg whites and salt until foamy, then add sugar a little bit at a time, beating until stiff peaks, the peak stands straight up when the beaters are lifted from the mixture. about 5 minutes.
3) Using a whisker, and turn the small amount whisked egg whites into the batter, mix until just combined and then turn back the batter into the whites. The most important part here is not to stirring and carefully folding is gentle mixing technique until just incorporated. Pour batter into prepared pan. Use a spatula and smooth the surface. Bang the cake pan a few times and get the air bubbles out of your cake batter. Sprinkle some spring onion and meat floss and a pinch of sea salt on top.
4) Bake in preheated oven 150°C for 35 minutes. Baking time it will depend on the side of your cake pan. Use a large baking pan for a cold water bath.
5) Once cooked, remove from the oven. Peel off parchment paper, roll the cake up in the paper while still hot. Spread the dijon mustard and mayonnaise cream over the cake and a few handfuls of meat floss as a filling, then roll up and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes and cut into slices to serve.
1) Be careful not to get the saucepan too hot.
2) For guaranteed results it's important to follow exactly this recipe and baking at the right temperature is important. It's recommended to use an oven thermometer.
3) Do not bake the cake quickly at a high temperature and don't remove hot cake out of a baking pan. otherwise the cake could fall apart and crack on top. Baking cake at a lower temperature will help the cake rise much higher and bake more evenly.
4) Please understand that everyone's oven work differently. You should also check the temperature of your oven. if not, your cake won't rise well.
5) You can test the cake by poking it with a skewer, if it's cooked the skewer will come out clean. if not pop it back in the oven and bake until it's ready.
6) Folding egg whites into a cake batter. Do not stir and never use an electric mixer.
7) Use a clean, dry bowl, free of yolk and any other oil or grease while beating egg whites. Do not over or under-beat the egg whites.
Recipe Source: JosephineRecipes.Co.Uk