Impress your loved ones with this black forest cake. Amazingly soft and moist chocolate layered with fresh cherries marinated in brandy and vanilla whipped cream. You can make this and takes it to a whole new level.
(6-inch cake pan)
• 3 large egg yolks
• 2 tbsp sugar
• 4 tbsp corn oil
• 4 tbsp milk
• 6 tbsp cake flour, sieved
• 2 tbsp cocoa powder, sieved
• 3 egg whites
• 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
or 1/2 tsp lemon /lime juice
• 4 tbsp sugar
• 600ml double cream, cold
• 1-3 tbsp icing sugar, as you desire
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 300g fresh cherries & cherries pieces marinated in brandy
• 250g dark chocolate, chopped
1) In a bowl, mix (A) egg yolks, sugar, corn oil, milk and sift in the cake flour and cocoa powder, whisk until smooth.
2) In a separate bowl, whisk (B) egg whites until foamy then add cream of tartar or 1/2 tsp lemon /lime juice and sugar a little bit at a time until to a thick and stiff peak stage, about 3-5 minutes.
3) Folding egg whites into a cake batter, and mix until incorporated.
4) Use a large baking pan for a cold water bath. Don't need a preheated oven! 130ºC -150ºC, Always bake with both top and bottom heat with fan assisted for 60 minutes.
To make sure your cake to succeed even better. It is best to use an oven thermometer and you'll always have the exact temperature of your oven in mind.
5) Leave the cake in the oven, whether turned ''off'' and when it is done. Leaving it in oven while the oven is cooling down, at least 15 minutes or more than 20 minutes, until the oven temperature reached room temperature.
6) Drop the cake pan immediately after removing from the oven.
7) When the cake are cool completely. Whisk the double cream, icing sugar and vanilla extract, until softly whipped, about 3 minutes. Cover with the cling film and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
8) Cut a cake into three. Place the first layer on a cake pan. Spread a thick layer of the cream on top, then spoon over the cherries pieces and sprinkle chopped dark chocolate. Gently press in to indent.
9) Place the second and third cake layer, repeat the layering process as the first. Decorate with fresh cherries. Before serving, Set in a refrigerator for 10 minutes and Serve!
1) Cake sink or collapse after cooling, because you've turned the hot cake in the oven too soon once baked or pans were greased too heavily or placed too close together in the oven or over-baked.
2) Do not bake the cake quickly at a high temperature and don't remove hot cake out of a baking pan. otherwise the cake could fall apart and crack on top. Baking cake at a lower temperature will help the cake rise much higher and bake more evenly.
3) Please understand that everyone's oven work differently. You should also check the temperature of your oven. if not, your cake won't rise well.
4) You can test the cake by poking it with a skewer, if it's cooked the skewer will come out clean. if not pop it back in the oven and bake until it's ready.
5) Folding egg whites into a cake batter. Do not stir and never use an electric mixer.
6) Do not over or under-beat the egg whites.
7) Beating egg whites is a very important process, It will help your cakes rise with perfectly.
8) Cover with foil after a few minutes if the cake of top starts to get brown and continue rising nicely with a golden top.
Recipe Source: JosephineRecipes.Co.Uk