Here is my secret recipe how to make chocolate sponge cake was published last year October. By far the tastiest homemade chocolate cake ever! You can serve it plain, sprinkle some chocolate chips or drizzled with rich chocolate ganache or fill with shredded dark chocolate, fresh whipped or butter cream for a birthday cake. This is new, an improved version and recipe I had tried previously many times until satisfied, so today, I clearly explain every step of each technique. No need to be confused. This chocolate chip cakes really hit the spot and for being chocolate-y enough just adding finely chopped dark chocolate as a filling that are just deep, dark, chocolatey taste and so yummy! Want to make the best chocolate cake you ever tasted? You must try this! By the way, This is similar with Castella, a Japanese sponge cake.
• 22g, 4 tbsp corn oil
• 10g, 2 tbsp cocoa powder, sieved
• 1 tsp instant coffee, sieved
• 28g, 3 tbsp sugar
• 66g, 6 tbsp milk
• 58g, 7 tbsp cake flour
• 46g, 2, large or 3 egg yolks
• a pinch of salt
• 94g, 2, large egg whites or 3 egg whites
• 1/2 tsp lime / lemon juice or 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
• 48g, 5 tbsp sugar
• softened butter - for greasing the cake pan
Using paper rub a little butter and Take a small handful of flour and sprinkling it evenly around the inside of the greased pan and remove excess.
For the Decoration & Filling:
• chocolate chips
• shredded dark chocolate
Pre-heat oven, always bake with both top and bottom heat with fan assisted.
1) Heat the corn oil in a saucepan, over low heat. Add sieved cocoa powder, instant coffee, stirring constantly, until fragrant and melted completely, then combine sugar and milk. Turn off the heat, less than 65c. Sprinkle a pinch of sea salt, sift the cake flour, Add the egg yolks and mix by hand until just combined. do not over mix!
2) In a separate bowl, Whisk egg whites until foamy then squeezing a little lemon juice and add sugar a little bit at a time, beating until to a thick and stiff peak stage, about 3-5 minutes.
3) Using a whisker and turn the small amount of egg whites into the batter, then turn back the batter into the whites, and the most important part here is not to stirring and carefully folding is gentle mixing technique until just incorporated.
4) Pour cake batter into your prepared pans and sprinkle shredded dark chocolate as a filling and chocolate chips over cake. You could try now without the water bath or to prepare a water bath and see what happens, It's works too!
5) Bake in preheated oven 130°c - 150°c bake for 25 minutes
Makes 12 cupcakes - 25 minutes
2 lb loaf cake - 50 minutes
21cm square pan / 6-inch cake pan - 60 minutes
or until the cake is set in the centre. Baking time it will depend on the size of your cake pan. To make sure your cake to succeed even better. It is best to use an oven thermometer and you'll always have the exact temperature of your oven in mind.
5) Once cooked, leave to cool at least 10 minutes, until the oven temperature reached 50ºc.
6) Dropping the cake pan from high once to prevent the cake to shrink too much during cooling. Make sure cakes are properly cooled before cutting them.
7) Transfer the cake to a plate for serving. Any leftover cake can be covered and kept in the fridge for 2-3 days.
1) Be careful not to get the saucepan hot because the oil will burn.
2) For guaranteed results it's important to follow exactly this recipe and baking at the right temperature is important. It's recommended to use an oven thermometer.
3) Do not bake the cake quickly at a high temperature and don't remove hot cake out of a baking pan. otherwise the cake could fall apart and crack on top. Baking cake at a lower temperature will help the cake rise much higher and bake more evenly.
4) Please understand that everyone's oven work differently. You should also check the temperature of your oven. if not, your cake won't rise well.
5) You can test the cake by poking it with a skewer, if it's cooked the skewer will come out clean. if not pop it back in the oven and bake until it's ready.
6) Folding egg whites into a cake batter. Do not stir and never use an electric mixer.
7) Use a clean, dry bowl, free of yolk and any other oil or grease while beating egg whites. Do not over or under-beat the egg whites.
Recipe Source: JosephineRecipes.Co.Uk