All of our homemade cakes are made from heart, of course, the best ever! you can serve this chocolate zebra cake as plain as simple, or to add something special and elegant, just drizzled with chocolate ganache, and topped with macarons. This was my favorite type of birthday cake for many years, and this had me tearing up almost immediately.
(6-inch cake pan)
• 3, large egg yolks
• 2 tbsp sugar
• 4 tbsp corn oil
• 4 tbsp milk
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 6 tbsp cake flour, sieved
• 3 egg whites
• 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
• 4 tbsp sugar
• 1 tbsp cocoa powder, sieved
Pre-heat oven to 150ºC, always use (oven thermometer) and bake with both top and bottom heat with fan assisted, after middle baking, reduce to 130ºC.
1) In a bowl, mix (A) egg yolks, sugar, corn oil, vanilla and milk, Sift in the cake flour and whisk until smooth.
2) In a separate bowl, whisk (B) egg whites until foamy then add cream of tartar and sugar a little bit at a time until, firm to stiff peaks, the peak stands straight up when the beaters are lifted from the mixture about 3-5 minutes.
3) Folding cake batter into a whites, and mix until incorporated.
4) Pour half of the batter into a separate bowl, and add the (C) cocoa powder, mix until well combined. Spoon 3 tablespoons of the plain batter into the centre of the 6-inch cake pan. then add two tablespoons of the cocoa batter on top and repeat until all batter has been used.
5) Use a large baking pan for a cold water bath and bake for 60 minutes.
To make sure your cake to succeed even better. It is best to use an oven thermometer and you'll always have the exact temperature of your oven in mind.
6) Once cooked, leave to cool 15 minutes, until the oven temperature reached 50ºC, which can cause your cake to collapse. Dropping the cake pan from high once to prevent the cake to shrink too much during cooling. Make sure cakes are properly cooled before cutting them.
1) (Dr Oetker Fine Cooks Extra Dark Chocolate) can be melted easily over a pan of hot water, and used to decorate your cakes. Click here to learn French chocolate macarons https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir2rjtPB68c&t=252s
2) Do not bake the cake quickly at a high temperature and don't remove hot cake out of a baking pan. otherwise the cake could fall apart and crack on top. Baking cake at a lower temperature will help the cake rise much higher and bake more evenly.
3) Please understand that everyone's oven work differently. You should also check the temperature of your oven. if not, your cake won't rise well.
4) You can test the cake by poking it with a skewer, if it's cooked the skewer will come out clean. if not pop it back in the oven and bake until it's ready.
5) Folding egg whites into a cake batter. Do not stir and never use an electric mixer.
6) Do not over or under-beat the egg whites.
7) Beating egg whites is a very important process, It will help your cakes rise with perfectly.
8) Cover with foil after a few minutes if the cake of top starts to get brown and continue rising nicely with a golden top.
Recipe Source: JosephineRecipes.Co.Uk