• 265g glutinous rice flour
• 73g wheat starch
• 300g coconut milk
• 135g brown candy in pieces (11/2 pieces)
• 26g dark muscovado sugar
• 200g water
1) Mix the glutinous rice flour, wheat starch and coconut milk together. Knead until a stiff and dough is formed.
2) In a saucepan, Add brown candy in pieces, dark muscovado sugar and water. Stir the sugar constantly over middle low heat until the sugar is completely dissolved. Set aside to cool.
3) Adding the sugar water a little by little to the dough, and knead until dough become a thick batter, and strain the batter to remove any lumps.
4) Pour the batter into the prepared greased mould. Steam for 2 hours. Remove the cake from the heat. Serve immediately, or refrigerate overnight.
1) How long can I keep this - Nian gao ''Chinese New Year's cake'' ? Use a wrap cling or sealed film bags can be stored for up to 1 month in the fridge. The longer you store it, the harder it will gets, don't worry! It softens, when you reheat or pan fried.
Here is a recipe for ''Pan Fried Sticky Rice Cake with Eggs''. They are perfectly crispy on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside.
• 1 egg
• vegetable oil
• glutinous rice cake (sliced)
1) Heat a pan over a medium high heat, Add vegetable oil. Break eggs lightly with a chopsticks, letting a slice of sticky rice cake soak up in a whisked eggs, Gentle coated with a thin layer of eggs. Fry them until golden brown and soft on both sides.
Recipe Source: JosephineRecipes.Co.Uk