Today I'm going to share one of my secret recipe of making super soft, fluffy and moist hot cross buns. Since I had lots of work done for these dough, hand kneading, shaping and scoring the dough and bring to my husband's freshly baked that always put a smile on his face at breakfast and afternoon tea. A hot cross bun is a sweet buns made with spices and cinnamon, raisins, marked with a cross on the top, and traditionally eaten on Good Friday and Easter.
For the fillings:
● 1 cup flame raisins
(soaked and drained)
● 1 tbsp honey
For the dough:
● 21/2 cup bread flour
● 3 tbsps sugar
● 1 tsp ground cinnamon
● 1/2 tsp five spices
● a pinch of sea salt
● 1 cup cold milk
● 1 whole egg
● 1 tsp dried yeast
● 25g salted butter
For the Cross:
● 3 tbsps plain flour
● 1/2 tbsp sugar
● 31/2 tbsp water
For brushing the tops:
● 2 tbsps golden syrup
● 1 tbsp water
1) First, Soak raisins in hot water for at least 15 minutes and drain, then adding honey and mix well.
2) Add all (B) ingredients to a food-safe plastic bag. Add (1) 1/4 cup honey raisins and knead the mixture pulls away from the side of the bag. Proofing the sticky and lumpy dough,(cold-rise) overnight in the fridge.
3) Transfer the dough to a bread machine pan. Place 35g salted butter. Select ''leaven dough'' setting and press ''start'', kneading until the dough is smooth on the outside. then Select ''Ferment'',
about 30 minutes.
4) Sprinkle or dust the flour over the work surface. Divide the dough into 16 pieces, about 48g per piece. Combine the remaining raisins to the dough as the fillings turn over shape your dough into a round balls and place them on a prepared tray.
6) In a small bowl, add 2 tbsps golden syrup and 1 tbsp sugar and stir well. Brush after middle baking and brush again after baking.
7) Combine 3 tbsps of plain flour with 1/2 tbsp sugar and 3 1/2 tbsps of water into a bowl and stir until thick paste. Spoon the mix into a piping bag and cut a small hole. Using the mix in piping bag, make a cross in the centre of each bun after middle baking.
8) Remove from the oven, Cool the hot cross buns on a wire rack. Serve warm or lightly toasted with butter.
1) Keep the bread fresh and moist for 2 days. put them in a food plastic bag and locked it or store it in an airtight container and reheat and serve. (heat it up, and it will taste freshly baked again).
2) Wrap the cooled, dry bread in food plastic bag, zip and locked it and stored in the freezer for up to 2 months and re-heat and serve.
Recipe Source: JosephineRecipes.Co.Uk