Pan-fried turnip cake has a thin crisp & crunchy layer on the outside from frying, soft on the inside. It is also commonly eaten during Chinese New Year, Since radish 菜頭 is a homophone for "good fortune".
Medium Foil Containers with Lids
2 cups rice flour
10 tbsps wheat starch
2 cups water
2 large white radish
2 cups dried scallop & shrimp water, or (plain water)
1 red onions
1/2 cup dried shrimps (soaked)
1/2 cup dried scallops (soaked)
1/2 cup dried mushrooms (soaked &
Oil for frying
2 tsps sea salt
2 tsps sugar
2 tsps sesame oil
2 tsps white pepper
2 tsps sweet rice wine
2 tsps chicken granules
1) Heat and add oil for stir fry (red onions, dried shrimps. dried scallops and dried mushroom till fragrant and until golden brown.
2) Add turnips and seasoning to taste till well combined. Cover and cook until tender and translucent for about 15 minutes.
3) Sift the rice flour and wheat starch into a bowl with soaked dried scallops and shrimp water or just plain water to make a thin batter.
4) Turn off the heat and allow the wok cool down. Pour batter and stir them until slightly thickened.
5) Pour the mixture into a well greased foil containers. Cover, and steam for 1 hour. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool slightly. Keep refrigerated and consume within 5 days.
6) Cut into pieces. Heat a pan and oil over a medium high heat. Transfer turnip cake slices one by one to a pan until both side are deep golden brown. Dip into the sauce of your choice. A perfect comfort food with rice porridge and toppings for appetizers.
For Garnish & Toppings
5 - 6 large scallops (soaked)
2 tsps brown sugar
1) Heat the pan and add oil until medium heat, add scallops and fry about 3 minuts, add brown sugar, fry the scallops until crispy. Put the ''crispy dried scallops'' garnish on top of the turnip cake.
2) Heat the pan without oil, add preserved mooli radish until deep brown and fragrant. then add method (1) pan fried dried and preserved ingredients and mix well together. Serve them with rice porridge and garnish or put toppings on the turnip cake.
1) Turn the heat on high for at least a minute, before adding oil.
2) The amount of ingredients like red onions, dried shrimp, scallops,
and mushrooms. It can be increased or decreased to suit your own taste.
3) While you cook the radish as the vegetables will release enough of its own juices, adjust less or more water to make the thin batter.
4) If you want to eat turnip cake straight out of the steamer. It's best to reduce the wheat starch to 5 tsps instead of 5 tbsps.
5) If you really can't find wheat starch, you can substitute cornstarch.
Recipe Source: JosephineRecipes.Co.Uk