In this video, I'm teaching you How to Make Sweet Potato Glutinous Rice Balls 番薯流心糯米糍, Also known as Onde-Onde and Sweet Potato Mochi. One of my favorite sweet treats, It's a beautiful orange colour made with sweet potato, rice flour, wheat starch and coconut sugar. When you are taking a bite out of this ball will give you A surprisingly mouthful of fragrant syrup called coconut sugar (gula melaka). Without the shredded coconut sprinkled over, It's called tang yuan (汤圆) Chinese traditionally prepare tang yuan during winter solstice.
Makes 16 (L) Glutinous Rice Balls
1 cup glutinous rice flour
¼ cup wheat starch
2 sweet potatoes, about 250g
(cooked and peeled)
1 tablespoon corn oil
60ml warm water
1 pieces coconut sugar 75g
shredded coconut, for coating
1) Breaking up coconut sugar with a pestle & mortar.
2) Wash the sweet potatoes in running water. Put the potatoes into a saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the potatoes is tenderness. Once cooked, Peel the potatoes and mash them without mercy.
3) In a large bowl, add 1 cup glutinous rice flour and ¼ cup wheat starch, fold in mashes potato while is still warm.
4) Use your spatula to mix well until just combined. Slowly pour 60ml warm water and keep stirring until smooth, Add 1 tbsp corn oil, knead into a dough. Allow to sit and store in refrigerator for overnight.
5) In the next day, Roll and cut the dough into 16 equal portions, filled and wrapped with some chopped coconut sugar. Shaped into a small balls, repeat this step with the remaining dough.
6) Bring a pot of water to boil. Gently drop the rice balls into the boiling water and cook until they float to the surface.
7) Drain out the balls and roll each with shredded coconut to coat evenly. Serve and Enjoy!
1) Let the dough sit in the fridge overnight, It seems like gives this
glutinous rice balls flavour and a delightfully chewy texture.
2) There are so many different types and coloured varieties of sweet potato to choose.
3) Put the uncooked Tangyuan in freezer bags zip slide or container and can be frozen within 1 to 3 months for best flavor and quality.
Recipe Source: JosephineRecipes.Co.Uk