For me, One of popular desserts eaten during this festive season is 白糖糕 Bak Tong Gou (Cantonese); Bai Tang Gao (Mandarin); White Honeycomb cake (Malay) Steamed Rice Cake 松糕 Also called White sugar sponge cake.
Just follow this step-by-step recipe video, It is made from rice flour, white sugar, water, coconut milk, and yeast for a few hours fermentation and steaming.
It had a coconut flavor and sweet taste.It should be spongy, soft, chewy and unique. the texture is lovely and highly reminiscent.
Although the original Chinese version is contain to water and pandan leaves, but I used coconut milk instead to make this cake taste more fragrant and look more bright and white in colour.
1 teaspoon dried yeast
2 tablespoons warm coconut milk
1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil (lightly greased & sweep a round glass casserole)
280g rice flour (414ml)
140g sugar (200ml )
100ml coconut milk
1) Combine 2 tbsps warm coconut milk, and stir with 1 tsp of yeast, mix well. over with a lid for 20 minutes or until bubbles arise.
2) In a large bowl, Add 300ml water to the 280g rice flour, and mix well.
3) Boil 140g sugar with 200ml water, and 100ml coconut milk. Once boiling, pour into (2) rice flour mixture. Stir well and Leave aside to cool.
4) Add the (1) yeast mixture to the (3) cooled rice flour under 38°c and mix together until smooth.
5) Let ferment at room temperature 1 to 2 hours. (longer if room is cooler, shorter if room is warm).
6) Grease and Steam over medium-high heat for 30 minutes and simmer for another 10 minutes.
remove from the steamer and allow to cool. cut into any shape, if desire. Serve immediately and Enjoy!
Since I have failed and tried many different's recipes in the past, over a year. they always turn out wrong :( not white, but yellow in colour, and sour taste, not as good as I imagine. At that time it's crazy and almost sad. Fortunately, now is voila, This is my unique way to make you success :)
Tried this recipe?
Why not leave a comment or share your re-create pictures?
Pottery dishes Sponsor by
Important Notes1) Fermentation-temperature control is one of the most important steps to making the best steamed rice cake.
2) The key to this recipe is PATIENCE!
3) To serve in the next day: Cut the cake into any shape, reheat it in the microwave or re-steam it for 5 minutes.
A Vietnamese version of the cake, called Bánh bò,Vietnamese Steamed Rice Cake, Cow cake are generally eaten as a dessert, although they may also be consumed as an accompaniment to a meal.
Good Luck! You'll be amazed by the taste.