For me, One of popular desserts eaten during this festive season is 白糖糕 Bak Tong Gou (Cantonese); Bai Tang Gao (Mandarin); White Honeycomb cake (Malay) Steamed Rice Cake 松糕 Also called White sugar sponge cake.
Just follow this step-by-step recipe video, It is made from rice flour, white sugar, water, coconut milk, and yeast for a few hours fermentation and steaming.
It had a coconut flavor and sweet taste.It should be spongy, soft, chewy and unique. the texture is lovely and highly reminiscent.
Although the original Chinese version is contain to water and pandan leaves, but I used coconut milk instead to make this cake taste more fragrant and look more bright and white in colour.
1 teaspoon dried yeast
2 tablespoons warm coconut milk, sweetened
280g -300g rice flour
100ml coconut milk
or water instead
1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil (lightly greased & sweep a round glass casserole)
1) Combine warm coconut milk, and stir with dried yeast, mix well. cover with a lid and rise in just 20 minutes until bubbles arise.
2) In a large bowl, Add (B) water to the rice flour, combine well.
3) In another saucepan, heat over medium high heat, add water, coconut milk and sugar. once boiling, pour hot syrup water into (2) rice flour mixture. stir well and set aside to cool.
4) Add the (1) yeast mixture to the (3) stir until well combined.
5) Let ferment 38°C- 40°C for 1 hour or room temperature for at least 2 hours. (longer if room is cooler, shorter if room is warm).
6) Grease and Steam over medium-high heat for 30 minutes. remove from the steamer and allow to cool. cut into any shape, if desire.
Since I have failed and tried many different's recipes in the past, over a year. they always turn out wrong :( not white, but yellow in colour, and sour taste, not as good as I imagine. At that time it's crazy and almost sad. Fortunately, now is voila, This is my unique way to make you success :)
Tried this recipe?
Why not leave a comment or share your re-create pictures?
Pottery dishes Sponsor by
Important Notes1) Fermentation-temperature control is one of the most important steps to making the best steamed rice cake.
2) The key to this recipe is PATIENCE!
3) To serve in the next day: Cut the cake into any shape, reheat it in the microwave or re-steam it for 5 minutes.
A Vietnamese version of the cake, called Bánh bò,Vietnamese Steamed Rice Cake, Cow cake are generally eaten as a dessert, although they may also be consumed as an accompaniment to a meal.
Good Luck! You'll be amazed by the taste.