First, Prepare one 0.75 litre Pyrex Round Glass Casserole Internal Diameter 21cm
1 cup glutinous rice flour
1 piece brown sugar or 1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup water
1 tablespoon dark muscovado sugar
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1) Pour a cup of water and bring to boil, Add 1 tbsp dark muscovado sugar and 1 piece brown sugar. Stir the sugar constantly over middle low heat until the sugar is completely dissolved.
2) In a large bowl, sift 1 cup of glutinous rice flour and add 1 cup of Sugar water, an ideal temperature needs 65°c hot or until completely cool then add 1 tsp oil and stir until well combined.
3) Pour the mixture into the prepared greased casserole. Cover and steam over high heat for 30 minutes.
4) Remove the cake from the heat. Decorate with the remaining red dates on top. Serve immediately, or refrigerate overnight.
To serve in the next day
Cut the cake into square pieces, reheat and serve the cake as is, or pan fried with eggs.
1) How long can I keep this - Nian gao ''Chinese New Year's cake'' ?
Use a wrap cling or sealed film bags can be stored for up to 1 month in the fridge. The longer you store it, the harder it will gets, don't worry! It softens,
when you reheat or pan fried.
2) You can either adjust the steaming time accordingly or for longer 1 - 3 hours.
3) If you are add 65°C, your batter should be thin, and watery. Just use a strainer which is helpful to strain out and make sure you've smooth batter.
4) Temperature of the sugar water will effect the batter, thin, watery and thick.
Recipe Source: JosephineRecipes.Co.Uk