This is the delicious savory cake served in dim sum restaurant throughout the year and, most auspiciously, on New Year’s Day as a symbol of prosperity and rising fortunes.
First, two deep round steaming tin.
1 cup rice flour
5 tsp corn flour or wheat starch
1 cup water
Please don't add too much water, while you cook the radish as the vegetables will release enough of its own juices.
1 white radish (small)
(soaked / sliced)
3 tsp vegetable oil - add more oil if needed.
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp sesame oil
or toasted sesame seeds
1 tsp white pepper
or black pepper
1 tsp sweet rice wine
1 tsp chicken granules
1) In a big bowl; mix the 1 cup rice flour and 5 tsp corn flour, Add 1 cup of water soaked with (dried shrimps, dried scallops and dried mushrooms) to make a thin batter.
2) Heat and add vegetable oil for stir fry red onions, dried shrimps, dried scallops and dried mushroom until golden brown.
3) Add Chinese white radish and Seasoning to taste till well combined.
4) Cover and cook until tender and translucent, about 15 minutes.
5) Using the same wok, Pour in the batter and cook on low fire till the batter slightly thickens, roughly about a few minutes.
6) Keep stirring the mixture so that the bottom won't get burnt. When the batter begins to thicken,
Stir well and pour into the steaming tin. Pour thick batter into a well-greased steaming tin, This should take and steam for 1 hour. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
To Pan fry:
Cut into pieces. Heat a pan over a medium high heat, Add 3 tsp vegetable oil. Transfer turnip cake slices one by one to a pan. Heating slowly until both side is golden brown. Serve hot with your favourite dipping sauces. After pan-fried the outer skin is crispy and the inside of the cake is soft and nice.
The amount of ingredients like red onions, dried shrimp, scallops,
and mushrooms can be increased or decreased to suit your own taste.
Recipe Source: JosephineRecipes.Co.Uk